American Gothic Home

On the way home from the Padget Reunion, Mom and I stopped in Eldon to see the American Gothic Home where Grant Wood painted his famous painting. 

Connie and I had stopped there years ago when we were on the way to Tom Arnold and Rosanne Barr's house. Anyway, that is a different story..... Connie and I stopped at the post office in Eldon.  The postmaster said that he lived in the house and asked us if we would like to see his collection of pottery.  How crazy was this, we met him at the house and went inside.  We were really trusting.  He had a beautiful collection of a special kind of pottery that I had never heard of, but it was impressive.  He showed us clothes on the back porch that people can borrow to have their picture in to look like the old man and women.



They have built a Welcome Center that is very nice and has a lot of history of the house and Grant Wood.

Did you know that the picture models were father and daughter?




Mom and I had the guide take our picture. You may recognize us from the Corn Flake Box. That is a joke.

This is so funny.  Connie, Mike and I had gone to John Deere Pavillion, downtown Moline and Con took our picture.  I could really get into this.  Mike was a sport, but I am not sure how often I could get him to pose.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great stuff! Lesh
Anonymous said…
My dad was Charles Helmick III.
I'm trying to do a little homework to share with my 2 children as they have never got to meet their grand father. He died in 2000.
I know my great grandparents lived here in Ottumuwa, Iowa and died in a house fire back in the late 1930's or there about. And my children would love to meet some of the family. I also know that I have / had a great great Uncle William Helmick , who lives / lived in Eldon.

Popular posts from this blog

Astrid is 10 Today

Broken Arrow, Oklahama

Mayberry, North Carolina